August 30, 2011

Nectarines in Jars

Nectarines are gloriously in season and are reasonably priced at 88 cents/pound. That inspired me to purchase them now, so my husband doesn't get mocked for trying to find nectarines out of season for his pregnant wife. (Granted, I don't have plans to be pregnant again this winter, but that's only a minor flaw in my logic.)

So, I canned 3 quarts of nectarines in a light syrup. My measurements are more of guesstimates, which is how I tend to handle proportions of items stuffed into jars and hot liquid for canning. I just cross my fingers that I have enough hot liquid to fill all my jars.


Nectarines in Jars
2 to 2 1/2 nectarines per quart
Sugar
Water

Wash nectarines, and drain them. Cut into quarters, and remove pits. Treat nectarines to prevent browning. Pack nectarines tightly into jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.

Make a light syrup by combining 1 part sugar to 5 parts water. Heat until sugar is dissolved. Fill jars with syrup, making sure to remove any air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps, and process quarts 20 minutes or pints 25 minutes in hot water bath.

Note: I added a cinnamon stick, some cloves and allspice to one jar to liven up the flavors.

No comments: