January 13, 2015

Honey Sweetened Blackberry Jam

There are several people who usually receive a jar or two of homemade goodies from me as Christmas presents. Normally it's a simple process of  picking out something I think they would enjoy. However, one of those individuals has significant dietary restrictions this year after a battle with cancer. She avoids all processed sugar, but honey, specifically raw honey, is OK.

I happened to have a jar of Linskens raw honey in my cupboard, so I decided to make a variation of this recipe from 100 Days of Real Food. I'm not sure that it's still technically raw honey after it's been cooked in the jam, but I started with raw honey.


Honey Sweetened Blackberry Jam
1 quart blackberries
2/3 cup honey
1/2 lemon, juiced
Dash of vanilla

Smash the berries in a low, wide, non-reactive pan. Add the honey and lemon juice, and stir to combine. Let the mixture sit until the honey begins to dissolve. Place the pan on the stove, and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring regularly, for 10 to 12 minutes, until the jam thickens. Stir in vanilla.

To make the jam shelf stable, pour it into clean, hot jars. Apply lids and rings, and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Makes about 1 pint.

No comments: