January 12, 2015

Linzer Muffins

I made these Cooking Light muffins for Christmas with my family and froze them to reheat for a quick breakfast Christmas morning. (Trust me, they were about the only thing quick Christmas morning. Opening presents with a 3-year old and 1-year old can be a long process, particularly when the toddler gets hung up on the 2nd gift he opens.)

Anyways, I really like these muffins. I adapted the recipe slightly based on ingredients I had on hand, and I still have a few in the freezer. Although I could microwave them, I prefer to toss them in the oven while it preheats to 350°F. A few minutes after the oven is warm, I have a nice warm muffin with a deliciously crunchy exterior.

Linzer Muffins
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. almond flour (I simply pulverized ground almonds a bit more)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup raspberry jam
Coarse sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 425°F. Line 12 muffin cups. Combine flour, almond flour, salt and baking soda, stirring with a whisk. In a separate bowl, beat sugars and butter together until mixture resembles coarse sand. Add vanilla, and beat until well combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add the flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with the flour.

Spoon half the batter into muffin cups. Top each muffin with a teaspoon of jam, and cover with remaining batter. Sprinkle muffins with coarse sugar. Bake for 5 minutes, and reduce oven to 375°F. Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until muffins spring back lightly when touched. Cool on wire rack. Makes 12 muffins (but the recipe doubles well).

No comments: