January 13, 2015

Totally Loaded Mashed Potatoes

I used to love my mother-in-law's cheesy potatoes. I never had them until I met her, and I thought they were the greatest thing ever ... until I was pregnant with my first child. I had a complete aversion to cheesy potatoes during my entire pregnancy to the point where the smell made me nauseous. And that ruined cheesy potatoes for me. I still will eat them, but they have yet to be the delicious, addictive dish they were prior to that pregnancy.

On the bright side, my mother-in-law made this potato dish this year from Hot Coupon World. Step aside cheesy potatoes. You have been replaced. This is now the greatest thing ever.

I made a slight modification in the amount of butter. I won't say it's to make them healthy, but I will say it eliminated the pools of grease. Also, I tried the method described to bake them frozen in the original recipe with no success, so I would plan to at most refrigerate them prior to baking.

Totally Loaded Mashed Potatoes 
3 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 Tbsp. butter
1 cup milk
8 oz. cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
Salt & pepper, to taste
12 oz. bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 bunch green onions, diced

Preheat the oven to 350°F. 

In a large pot of boiling water, cook the potatoes until they are fork tender. Drain. With a mixer, beat the cooked potatoes with the butter, milk, cream cheese, sour cream and spices until creamy. Spoon the mashed potatoes into a 9 x 13 or large baking dish, and spread evenly.

Sprinkle the top of the mashed potatoes with the cheese, bacon and green onions. Bake for 30 minutes, slightly longer if refrigerated prior to baking. Serves 8-10 easily.

No comments: