August 24, 2015

PB & J Multigrain Pancakes

Now that I've made these Cooking Light pancakes, I'm intrigued on how else I can impart peanut butter flavor using the powdered peanut butter. These pancakes, particularly the first ones of the batch, were delicious. They tasted like warm peanut butter and jelly sandwich perfection.

The "but" statements: But they didn't rise much especially the later ones I cooked, probably due to the batter resting a bit too much. But I wouldn't make a double batch again just for that reason. But they are a bit of work that makes them more of a weekend treat. But they are worth trying.

PB & J Multigrain Pancakes
3.4 oz. whole wheat flour
3 Tbsp. cornmeal
3 Tbsp. oats, finely ground
1/4 cup peanut butter powder
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 2/3 cups buttermilk
1 egg
6 Tbsp. jam (I used raspberry)
Butter, as desired
Powdered sugar, as desired

Preheat oven to 350˚F. Heat a large non-stick griddle (or grease your griddle) to medium-high heat.

Combine flour through salt in a large bowl. Add buttermilk and egg, and stir until combined. Spoon 3 Tbsp. batter onto griddle for each pancake. Once pancakes begin to bubble, spoon 1 Tbsp. jam onto the top of half of the pancakes. Gently flip the un-jammed pancakes onto the jammed pancakes, so the browned sides face outside. Carefully transfer the pancake sandwich to a baking sheet.

Bake for 12 minutes or until pancakes are cooked through. Serve warm, topped with butter and powdered sugar.

The recipe said it makes 6 pancakes, but I ended up with nearly double that. They are supposed to freeze well, reheating in the microwave. (I have frozen our leftovers but haven't tried any yet and likely won't remember to update this when I do.)