April 20, 2016

Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl

My favorite recipes currently are ones where I cook once and can feed my family for a week's worth of meals. It makes life easy, which I appreciate. And this recipe from From No. 2 Pencil makes life easy, delicious and relatively healthy.

I tweaked her recipe slightly, and ended up with something our whole family ate and enjoyed. (OK, I had to pick out the beans and any visible tomato pieces for my 4-year-old, but he's 4. That's normal.)

Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbsp. olive oil
4 tsp. onion powder
3 tsp. garlic powder
4 tsp. chili powder
3 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
3 cups chicken broth
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
2 14 oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 3/4 cups instant whole grain brown rice

Place chicken breasts in slow cooker, and add remaining ingredients except beans and rice. Cook on low for about 4 hours, until chicken is thoroughly cooked.

Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker, and turn slow cooker to high. Stir in instant rice and black beans. Cook 30-45 minutes on high, or until rice is tender. Meanwhile, shred chicken. Stir chicken back into the mixture, and let sit 5 minutes.

Serve with your favorite toppings. Cheese, lettuce, cilantro, sour cream, green onions, avocado, guacamole, salsa and black olives all made an appearance at our table. I stuck the mixture in a crunchy taco shell with cheese and black olives for my one son, but the rest of us ate the mixture as burrito bowls. Serves 8.

No comments: